Alice Benton's Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

Friends & Followers

Recently, I have been blessed enough to gain many new "friends" through social media. I'll be the first to admit that I am thankful, as well as happy about that, but I'm always careful. As much as I appreciate them and want many more, I am always mindful that these new "friends" are strangers.

I am well aware that strangers can be a blessing, but many times they are not. Please remind you're children if they are on the internet, who their friends are and more important, who they are not. Please include the followers on Twitter too.

Remind the children in your life how easy it is for a stranger to become quickly familiar. Also, let them know that all strangers don't always look strange. And, on the internet, they don't always show their real face.

Have this talk even if you haven't seen your child on a social network. In todays society, they could be online at school, the library, a friend's house or fast food restaurant. You cannot always know what they're doing, but you can arm them with the information they need.

*Posts you may enjoy:

Facebook Pet Peeves
Old Fashion Networking
Twitter

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home