Alice Benton's Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Male Characters from Women Writers: Writing for the Opposite Sex



To date, I have only ever gotten into writing one male character.  His name is Lem and there is an entire chapter in my upcoming 2011 novel, Beauty in Pain, dedicated to him.
 
I found the creation of Lem and his “voice” to be easier than I thought.  To tackle this fictional personality I referenced past history, stories I have heard, things I have seen and basic observation.  I did not focus on what I wanted him to say, how I wanted him to be or how this character could please.  My concern was purely how he fit into my story and was it believable.
 
After all, as women we know what men sound like.  So, I decided for the most part to trust my instincts.  I also had a male friend read that section.  He shared his opinion, as well as offered advice.  My friend mostly commented on inserting additional comments.  Some I agreed with and others took the story too far to the left.  This character is powerful and I would often down play him to position him correctly.
 
My advice to fellow women writers about their male characters is simple. First, believe in what it is that you know.  Believe me, you know more than you realize.  Second, abandon your need to fix him; making your character look perfect.  That isn't necessary because people are not perfect.  Third, consult other trusted writers.  Last, get a trusted male opinion while remembering it’s still your story.


Men, the same is true for you.  You've been talking to women you're whole life.  Accessing those previously held talks are where you start for the voice of your women characters.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home